About the GIA 4Cs『Carat』
- Carat weight is the unique unit which is used to measure the weight of diamonds. One Carat is equal to 200 milligrams. The word‘Carat’ could have possibly come from the Carob Seeds which were used as the weight standard in the early ages.
- Each carat can be subdivided into 100 'points.' This allows very precise measurements to the hundredth decimal place. Diamond weights are rounded up from the third decimal point only when it is a nine. For example, 0.998ct = 0.99ct, 0.999ct = 1.00ct.
- 1 carat = 100 points. A 0.75ct diamond is 75 point diamond. The carat weight of a diamond can easily be established to fit into the desired budget of the buyer after determining its cut, colour and clarity. Since larger diamonds are rare and less frequented as compared to smaller ones, their value is much more as compared to the smaller diamonds. The prices of diamonds particularly rise exponentially with carat weight not the linearly. As in, a 01.00 ct diamond of certain quality would always be valued higher than two 0.50 diamonds of the similar quality.
The most suitable carat weight
How to choose the most appropriate diamond carat weight? In addition to her preferences, ring size, and also you have to consider your budget.
- If you have a certain budget, you can find a lot of diamond with different grades of color, clarity and cut. You can choose one carat with lower color, clarity and cut, or 70 point with higher color, clarity and cut, it depends on your preferences.
- If she is a sporty girl or not used to wearing jewelry, she probably would accidentally hit or scrape her new ring. Considering a small diamond or a Bezel setting diamond ring, it can protect a larger diamond from collision.
- One carat diamond on the ring of 4 size seems like one times larger than on the ring of 8 size.
- If you have already selected a ring style, please pay attention to her main stone size limit. If you have any questions, please contact with us.
- If you prefer large carat and also want it to be inside your budget, you can consider lower clarity, go as low as SI1 or SI2.